Cattle in Winter ~ Montana

16 Likes

Great image and edits… well done.

1 Like

great image - pity about the ear tag

The ear tag is a reality and any cattlemen would wonder why it wasn’t there.

I’m a country boy - raised and for much of my life so understand the registration system as well as most country dwellers …
BUT …
as a photographer I find the white tag and red button distracting
So for the front cover of The Farmers’ Guardian to illustrate the weather conditions — quote — “Farmers Guardian is a weekly newspaper aimed at the British farming industry.” ---- fine leave it in place.
But for a photo journal - probably edit it out or subdue it — MY PERSONAL COMMENT!

Filters aside, you can’t beat a great composition - lovely atmospheric image also.

2 Likes

It certainly is your personal comment, and you have my permission to download the image and remove the ear tag if it makes you feel better. As for me, I rarely edit out the reality of what I see. I obviously apply the unreality of filters and effects as a means of self-expression, but by restraining myself from “glitch-fixing” I force myself to become a better photographer by seeking out truthfully superior scenes. Besides, here in Montana the reality of cattle ear tags supersedes the impulse to remove them as a tip of the hat in respect for the state’s largest industry.

1 Like