Clarification regarding Topaz Studio

No, the reason is that you need 2 GPU’s to activate selection … in your case everything is on the GTX580

The GTX580 should be satisfactory as long as you have the minimum 1GB of dedicated vRAM on the GTX 580 card.

I’m not sure about that article from Petapixel as it is really specific to LR.

Sorry, I shoulda clarified, I’m on a GTX960 4gb RAM. It was purchased last year, whereas my cpu is core i5 from 5-6yrs ago (maybe even slightly older than that).

I do find it peculiar that when checking PS and the GPU acceleration area, it’s ticked already for me as default upon installation ie ive never had to check the box, but it is there ticked already, and it’s clear as day that its working for me ie fast response, way faster than the ‘non ticking’ GPU acceleration that I have to put up with in LR.

I thought the pull down menu would still exist for those with onboard mb gfx as well tho? Your menu says ‘Intergrated Graphics (default)’ which to me suggests the same as what I have on my mb?

“If you’re using a smaller screen and/or a slower processor” - that petapixel article linked above, I think this applies to me, I’m also 24 inch 1080p.

Sorry about the 580 comment that was for another person. Note that the tick for PS or LR to use GPU acceleration is a software switch and I have asked Topaz to look at including this in the preferences but in the meantime you will need to select at the OS level if you have dual GPU’s.

If you are already using the 960 in PS, when it calls Studio as a plugin Studio will be using the the 960 BUT from LR, if you have turned off GPU acceleration Studio will still use the NVIDIA but if you use an alternate GPU (in my case a Intel HD4600) that will be used by Studio.

This is all just to do with the child process rules in Windows.

So could I fire up PS and then trigger Topaz plugins from that? Maybe then do some Topaz edits utilizing (at last) the power of the 960? If so how do I manage this?

Some Topaz plug-ins can be used as stand-alone editors (Impression, Texture Effects, DeNoise, Glow, ReMask) as well as plugins. You can also use Photoshop instead of Lightroom to host them. If you always start in Lightroom, you can select “Edit in Photoshop” and call the plugins from Photoshop. Sometimes it makes sense to do that.

I don’t wonder that you were confused by the Topaz offerings (traditional plug-ins versus Topaz Studio). I have been a user for many years, and since the introduction of Topaz Studio I find it confusing as well. I read in another post that Topazlabs will be working on making their website easier to navigate and understand.

You are lucky that your plugins are showing up in Topaz Studio in the Specialty section - mine aren’t yet and I am waiting for my support ticket to be processed.