Plugin exports TIFF instead of DNG | v3.0.0

Am using the plugin (LRC) edit via file- plug in extras- , when saving back into lightroom file is saved as TIFF only. ( I have the slider button on prefrences set to DNG, but only saves Tiff)

Anyone else encountering this?

4 Likes

Just reported the same issue when using Version 3 as a Plugin with Capture One.

1 Like

We are aware of this behavior with the new update.

I have talked with some of the developers and learned that this change has allowed Adjust Lighting and Balance Color to be used with RAW files.

Currently, you can either process RAW files using Photo AI v3.0.0 as a stand-alone application to output DNGs or you can revert to Photo AI v2.4.2 to enable this option for the Lightroom Classic using the appropriate OS link below:

* Topaz Photo AI | Windows Installer | v2.4.2
* Topaz Photo AI | MacOS Installer | v2.4.2

The devs are working to enable the plugin for Lightroom to return a DNG normally in future updates and have the TIFF output only be used if Adjust Lighting or Balance Color is used.

2 Likes

[Please describe your issue here. Try to include logs (Help → Logging) and add screenshots if necessary.]
Issue = output from PAI V3 is TIFF file not DNG when using plug-in-extras via LrC
When used as standalone will output as DNG

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Step 1 -input = LrC plug-in-extras
  2. Step 2 process in PAI V3.0
  3. Step 3 output TIFF

Topaz Photo AI[v13.0.0 on Windows Pro 10
CPU = 13700K
GPU 3070 TI
RAM = 32 MB

1 Like

This info should have been in the release notes. If it was, I would not have updated. When will this issue be resolved?

9 Likes

Lenovo Laptop (I5 -32Gb ram-GeForce Graphics) running latest update of Windows 11 with latest version Of Capture One.

When using latest version of Photo AI (3) as a “Plug In” in Capture One the processed image (RAW or DNG) will only Export/Save as a TIFF file.

If image is processed using Photo AI as a stand alone application you get the option of exporting in the DNG format.

Dont remember this being the case with previous version.

Topaz Photo AI [v3] on [Windows 11]

1 Like

yep same for me!

2 Likes

The .tiff also seems color edited even though I didn’t select anything.

4 Likes

I really don’t understand why TPAI needs to have “Adjust Lighting or Balance Color” enabled if its used as a plugin from Lightroom or Capture One or … IMHO people will be using their main editing programs to preform these functions.

9 Likes

Exactly

2 Likes

I have the same issue after the latest update.

4 Likes

I am having the same issue. On Windows and on MACOS alike. Please fix quickly.

1 Like

Yep, hitting same issue. So, annoying. When is the fix expected?

1 Like

Topaz Photo AI 3.0.0.
Launched standalone, load Sony RAW .ARW, denoise+sharpen, export as .DNG works great.
Launched from LrC as File>PlugInExtras>ProcessWithTopaz, insists on saving as TIFF.
Note - I have not (deliberately) added any other enhancements which in standalone mode disable DNG.

Impact is that you can no longer match color-temperature to non-enhanced photos (since TIFF files oly get a +/- color temp slider, not a 7200K slider).
Colors seem to get a material shift, and it’s hard to make them right or consistent with peer photos.
(E.g. blue skies gain a little magenta or cyan cast).

3 Likes

I have the same problem. The main reason I bought Photo AI was that the output is preserved as .DNG

Is there any solution yet?

I also have the same problem, we need dng file like before, please fix it, thank you

I also have the same problem, Topaz Photo AI at this time doesnt work with RAW files anymore, exporting to TIFF is not a RAW, we need dng file like before, please fix it, thank you

1 Like

In V3.0.0. of TPAI, its output when using “plug-in-extras” in LrC (I think other editors too) is now a TIFF file not a DNG. Why? To allow Adjust Lighting and Balance Color to be used with RAW files. In a future update DNG will be the output when Adjust Lighting or Balance Color isn’t used and have the TIFF output only when one or both of these functions are used. IMHO people who are sending RAW files to TPAI through LrC or some other editor will adjust lighting and color balance in these editors and not in TPAI. Thus I feel having these function under these circumstances is not needed. For me I can’t update to V3.x.x until I can get DNG as a output. I

1 Like

I’ve tested the new version with NEF and DNG files from Lightroom Classic using two different Nikon cameras, the d7500 and Z8. The new TPAI 3.0 has been a complete disaster for me; the sharpening and denoising have not been improved, and the TIFF file produced (where I expected a DNG) exhibits completely mad color changes and rare noise. I hope for a quick resolution. Regardless of whether I use auto modes or attempt to fine-tune various options, the results are awful. In the meantime, I’ve reinstalled the latest version 2 and, incidentally, the old Sharpen AI, which now outperforms TPAI.

1 Like

From Topaz concerning TIFFs instead of DNGs:
"We are aware of this behavior with the new update.

I have talked with some of the developers and learned that this change has allowed Adjust Lighting and Balance Color to be used with RAW files.

Currently, you can either process RAW files using Photo AI v3.0.0 as a stand-alone application to output DNGs or you can revert to Photo AI v2.4.2 to enable this option for the Lightroom Classic

The devs are working to enable the plugin for Lightroom to return a DNG normally in future updates and have the TIFF output only be used if Adjust Lighting or Balance Color is used."

1 Like