New Computer

I’m looking at a new computer and I want to make sure it will handle all of the Topaz Products. Here is the spec’s on it:

AMD A9-9425 Dual-Core (3.1 GHz, up to 3.7 GHz, 1MB cache)+AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics, AMD Ryzen™ 3 2200U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.4GHz, 1 MB cache, 2 cores)+AMD Radeon™ Vega 3 Graphics, AMD Ryzen™ 3 2300U (2 GHz, up to 3.4GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)+AMD Radeon™ Vega 6 Graphics, AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Quad-Core (2 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz, 6 MB cache)+AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics

In particular I’m concerned about the graphics capability.

Its not necessary, but I have just gotten a Ryzen system and I made sure to get nVidia graphics. In my experience, AMD graphics are not always best friends with AI - no matter who is making the AI products.

But that’s just me! Don’t let me put you off: your system looks excellently powerful, and to spare!

Here is my computer’s spec…the AMD GPU in this particular case really dislikes AI…I keep getting the blue screen of death Page Fault In Non-paged Area faulting unit atikmdag.sys

Thanks for the input Jack. My ASUS computer’s hinge broke (after only two years) and I must leave it open so I’m shopping for a new one.
I’m not sure about the specs whether they are good or bad but it’s a laptop and the price is equal to what a repair would be on this ASUS I have now.
I’m wondering, if in fact, I need a Quad processor or if the dual-core I’m looking at will function. I’m almost tempted to go back to desktop.

I have literally just shut the door on the delivery man - who brought me this 64Gb, 2 x SSD, Ryzen 7 2700X, nVidia 2070 system…:slight_smile:

to fotoman: I’m using a tower Windows 10 PC with a Ryzen 2600X (6 cores + 6 threads) CPU and a Radeon RX580 video card with 4GB of GGDR5 memory. Also, 16GB of GGDR4 RAM. Your list is confusing to me as it shows multiple CPUs and graphic cards (maybe these are possible configurations?). I use AI Gigapixel and AI Clear which requires the most processing and I’m happy with the performance. Looking at the specs of the mobile Vega 6 it far under performs my RX580 (which is under $200). You need at least 4GB of video RAM. The Vega 8 is better but still much lower than the RX580. check here for info TechPowerUp

spec on Vega 6 mobile graphics:
Theoretical Performance
Pixel Rate 8.088 GPixel/s

Texture Rate 24.26 GTexel/s

FP16 (half) performance 1,553 GFLOPS (2:1)

FP32 (float) performance 776.4 GFLOPS

FP64 (double) performance 48.53 GFLOPS (1:16)

spec on my RX580:
Theoretical Performance
Pixel Rate 42.88 GPixel/s

Texture Rate 193.0 GTexel/s

FP16 (half) performance 6,175 GFLOPS (1:1)

FP32 (float) performance 6,175 GFLOPS

FP64 (double) performance 385.9 GFLOPS (1:16)

Thanks Artisan. I’m sure its much more than my budget will allow. For this ASUS a little over two years ago I paid close to $1000.00
Not sure the CFO is going to allow that again so soon.

Hi Harry, When you say that that the computers hinge broke, I assume that its a laptop. I had that happen on my HP laptop. I shopped around for a good computer repair service and took it in and they did a repair. $200. better than $1000. for a new PC.

I would say to make sure you at least get dedicated graphics. The radeon and intel onboard chipsets can work, but really do not perform as well as dedicated graphics. I am also on board the nvidia train. A majority of our users run nvidia graphics cards with little issue.

Thanks Ricci: I’ve gone to three repair shops here in the Houston area and they are all quoting me $250-300 for repair. I’ve got my eye on a couple of HP and Dell computers between $350-400 each. Seems it may be a better way to go.

1 Like

Russell: I agree. I’m an Nvidia fan as well but some and most laptops don’t offer the ability to upgrade.

Check out the heat being drawn by nVidia for the RTX GeForce series which keeps crashing…

2 Likes