Restraints on Image Size for processing in Topaz Studio & Plugins

I’m a bit late to this topic but have been thinking about it a lot.
First off - the basic image is everything. It can be reduced if a smaller image is “better” for use in Topaz.

That said, what is the optimal size for working with Topaz?

1 Like

Note I moved it to this new thread as it wasn’t relevant to the thread you posted in.

There is no optimal image size, just work with the size you want as you would with any other products.

If you use a lower pixel density the image quality after plugin treatment will be less “friendly”; if you use a higher pixel density some of the effects will be “different” ------------- EXPERIMENT!!!

I have always edited my images at the highest pixel count possible. The first time I reduce the size is if I am going to upload to the web. PC and Video card processing power and memory also may impact your decision on how large of an image to process. If you have a PC that is at the minimum requirements for Topaz it will br faster to go with smaller images.

By “optimal” I meant it in terms of results. (not as computer speed)
I’m wondering if anyone has found that an image size of 1200 pixels wide will generally produce more favorable results than an image of 3600 pixels width?

This question arises from the thought of upgrading my camera to a “Full Frame” camera which will produce a much larger and pixel rich image. Am I going to find that I need to upgrade to a faster processor (computer)?
And would there be any resultant betterment in image results?

I was hoping that someone had already traveled down that path and could provide insight.

As with any image, once you reduce your pixels you lose pixels. You cannot get them back. So bear that in mind.

I always work with the size I want to end up printing with. I never enlarge past the pixels of the original from the camera - well sometimes, but carefully and rarely.

If I want to print at 300dpi - the standard for quality (260dpi can also work depending on the image processing) I always size my images to 300dpi and downsize or upsize the actual print size to match the pixels I have on the camera. It is okay to downsize your original pixel size - it is asking for trouble if you want a quality image to upsize your pixels.

Always set your resolution first and then resize your pixels (or measurements) to bring your final result to the top line in PS - pixel dimensions to the closest of the original - which is the size in the brackets.

Then you have a resized original that is the same as the new image to begin working with.

Working with Impression can be a bit more relaxed with image size.

But one thing remains the same. Working at the size you wish to print at or send to web or whatever, will produce the best result overall. It may take longer to produce, but it is worth the extra processing time.

And remember, what you see on your monitor sometimes does not produce the same into print if you don’t work at the correct resolution.

1 Like

The higher the pixels that your camera obtains, means a higher quality in terms of printing larger. Pixel rich, I am not familiar with, unless you mean a higher quality lens. The better the lens, the better your noise reduction will be and better quality images.

As with all images that are very high in resolution, if that is what you mean by pixel rich, you will require more HDD space to accommodate the very larger file sizes.

For printing, 300dpi is the standard. Larger pixel cameras mean you can set the pixels at 300dpi when post processing and create larger artwork or photos than you could with a smaller pixel camera.

If you want to know about your computer speed etc, that is something you should raise with Technical Support on this website. Not this topic. I believe your original request has already been moved there, but people kept commenting here, which is why you are still receiving answers here.

But perhaps go over to Technical Support for your next best answers on your computer setup.

I’ve shot full frame cameras for about 8 years and I use Topaz and now Studio all the time. You may need to upgrade your computer - I’m finding that my 5 year PC is beginning to lag a bit and I need to reboot to clear everything out. I’ll probably either upgrade this computer or get a new one within the next year.

You have asked a very good question. Some applications like Clean, Simplify and Impression have given different results depending on the size of the original image, and as @el48tel said, you just have to experiment and get familiar with what workflow you like the best…

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Optimal Equipment for Photography