Simplify resolution issue [solved]

Hi, I’m having issues with the simplify filter, which seems to output a lower resolution/pixelated image. When working with tiny images it works as expected, but with 2K or larger it starts degrading the resolution quite dramatically. Is there anything I can do to remove this behaviour, or is this a bug?

1 Like

Part of Simplify’s charm is its pixellatory character.

Hi! Thanks for your reply Torcello :slight_smile:

It may be charming, but I’d argue we don’t really need a filter to downsample an image. If a task called for a lower resolution output, we’d just work on a lower resolution image.

(Not meant as a snarky remark, just saying it’s a pointless characteristic of a filter :smile:)

Do you know if it can it be turned off in any way? Or if there is a workaround (other than dividing the image into smaller chunks to get below the apparent downsampling threshold and stitching them back together manually?)

(The faceting quality of the simplify filter is lovely of course. But as in the example comparison, the straight forward loss of image resolution isn’t really usable for anything :smiley: )

You’ll want to use the Simplify in Studio version of Simplify, paired with the HD Preview option in Topaz Studio, to avoid downsampling. Simplify 4, and other Classic versions like it, rely on downsampling to remain responsive. We offer more control over that image preview area and whether or not downsampling takes place, by providing the HD Preview option. Simplify 4, being a previous version, will not be changed at this point, as the Simplify in Studio version is the current version. I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks Joe for the explanation, I found it very informative.

Thanks Joe! Appreciated :slight_smile:

This is 100% inaccurate. Simplify 3 and 4 both downsample. This is why we recommend you view your image at 100%, which is basically how the HD Preview option in Studio works (by forcing 100% zoom level rendering, instead of the downsampled <100% zoom rendering).

As for Topaz Studio, it downsamples based on need. Some Adjustments are harder on the rendering process (Abstraction, Smudge, Impression), so their previews are automatically downsampled. With planned improvements to application responsiveness and processing speed, we may be able to finally disable automatic downsampling, and retain application responsiveness. Until then, HD Preview is the preferred solution for the latest version of Simplify. For Simplify 3 and 4, you must zoom in to 100% or higher, to see an accurate representation of the image you’re working on.

Thanks, have a nice day!

1 Like

As a beta tester previously, I think I know how to use things. And I always look at 100%. Your explanations are just wrong, Joe. And to zoom in at higher than 100% is not going to give you an accurate representation of your final image at all.

Look, I’m not going to argue with you. The proof I need surrounds me, in the form of the engineers and marketers that have been building and selling this product for a very long time. Your statements were inaccurate, and as such, have been removed from this thread.

I think it’s relevant to note that you are ALSO a former moderator on this forum, and notably, the only person we’ve ever had to strip moderator status from, due to behavior. I have no patience for you, Kathi, and if you push me, I’ll perma-ban you and blacklist you forever. I’m not arguing with you any more. Get over it.

/thread

This thread is being closed.