TOPAZ PHOTO AI - THE UPDATE IS TERRIBLE - HOW WILL TOPAZ FIX THIS MISTAKE

Where are the previous installers? That link only brings me to various forums for previous versions. Please provide a link to the previous installer so I can rid myself of the current abomination.

2 Likes

Here you find all older versionsn for download:

2 Likes

Completely unusable. Hope you fix this fast.

3 Likes

Completely agreed.

I like the conceptual change in Photo AI 2.4 where the filters can be looked at as building blocks that can be added in various orders (even multiple instances of the same filter).

However, I strongly dislike the move towards hiding interface elements and options. For example, the AI models are in a drop-down menu rather than as separate buttons, so choosing a different model requires two clicks (click the menu and select the model) rather than one.

Thereā€™s a lot of empty space and modern displays are large. The tendency should be towards reducing pop-ups and drop down menus and increasing lists and arrays of buttons.

Also, the filters cannot be reordered once added to the list. Unfortunately that is of no surprise, since one cannot reorder images/videos in the queue of PAI/VAI.

Dear Topaz, after paying $199 for your software, I now find Iā€™m a beta tester. Your advertisements talk about ā€œnot having 2 hours to process your imagesā€¦ā€ - I now find Iā€™m wasting far longer wrestling with Photo AI. Why is it so slow? Sony and Capture One user on a fast 2023 laptop with plenty of memory and 100% RGB screen.

Nothing works for me also !

1 Like

I am sorry to say that a lot of the people who post rants about how unstable or slow this version seem to be a bit dim. First, they never look at previous posts to find out how to downgrade and, 2nd, they rarely post details of their hardware and OS. Many of the problems seem to be system specific.
I am on an M1 Mac and v2.4.0 has been working just fine for me and I am happy with the interface, which I find clear and clean. It does need a bit of tweaking but I personally see no need to downgrade.

1 Like

Photo AI 2.4 does seem to work faster, but the Sharpen results are usually unusable if faces are involved. It introduces excessive pixellation on facial featuresā€“sometimes elsewhere as wellā€“and faces get covered with tiny white dots, rendering the result unacceptable.

Without screenshots or an upload of your original file, no one can really help you.
Have you experimented with Face Recovery?
This is a high noise soft focus image of mine. After de-noising and sharpening, the face didnā€™t look great, especially the tooth reflecting the light. No ā€œtiny white dotsā€ though as per yours.

With face recovery:

M1 Mac mini 16GB.

I agree. This app is now unusable. Every time I open the app it starts to download model files and takes forever to upload my image. ~ Hoping that Topaz sorts out all the issues fast so that we are able to work againā€¦

Topaz will not be able to sort it out for you unless you send them details of your system, log files etc. The app is NOT ā€œunusableā€! You are obviously one of the people I referred to in my post aboveā€¦

Could not agree more with the original post. I have been using Topaz products for years and never thought to go make a post until now. Photo AI overnight went from my go to workflow to seemingly ruining my shots. I can not quantitatively put my finger on it. The denoise feature now wants to select the entire photo by default and selecting the subject now seems less accurate, require more of my time to paint in the selection. Is it just me or did they seem to switch from ā€œmasking to exclude the functionā€ to ā€œmasking to includeā€? Again I canā€™t put my finger on it but it now seems to take more effort for very poor results

1 Like

Yes there has been a change. Mask None now means that nothing will be selected, whereas Mask All means the opposite. Unfortunately, at present, you cannot set All to the default.

Some times the face recovery produces acceptable results, sometimes not. A problem I did not mention above is that sometimes the new ā€œimprovedā€ faces are surrounded with very sharp borders creating the impression that the face has been cut and pasted in from another source.

in most image processing products doesnā€™t the term ā€œmaskā€ mean that you are preventing the modification from being applied? I generally appreciate it when a product adds more choices and control, but some of what has been done here just seems counterintuitive. Would be nice to have the option to invert the mask. Again in processing a few pictures I just seem to have a much harder time arriving at a satisfying result whereas before there was a ā€œwowā€ factor just with the defaults.

I guess your the only then

Donā€™t really understand all these complaints.
Pretty happy so far with this update. The removal tool is just amazing! Seems even better that Luminar Neo!
Was annoyed with the speed of this new version, thoughā€¦ until I change the AI Processor in the preferences.

Thanks to the team for this amazing tool!

Iā€™m working on a series of low light action shots. The Denoise is working OK, but Face Recovery creates a ghost image and is unusable!
Also, the app crashes when batch processing more than three images!
I hope these issues will be addressed soon!

Terrible is a HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!!! Who thinks of these things to think it is for the better. Itā€™s absolutely awful!!! Not to mention I think the quality of sharpening has diminished. Same plane I edited, looks like it had chip marks on the underbelly, which certainly is not the case. Just decided to add these markings. Not having the hovering subject coverage is annoying. Highly disappointed in the changes, as I just started using this program and have a lot of aviation photos I was going to edit. Now, I donā€™t think so, and will probably not renew if this isnā€™t changed.

2 Likes

I really think that those who are complaining should have a look at the userā€™s manual before screaming ā€œAWFULLā€ or ā€œUNUSABLEā€ or at least opening the tabs and panels to discover the options the tool has to offer!
I was also a little confused by the changes in the UI, but at this point I havenā€™t seen any regression. On the contrary, all the features seem to have progressed well.