Topaz Studio will not launch a 2nd time from within Photoshop

I’m running Lightroom CC Clasic 2018, and I deleted the directory, and still have a problem. I cannot figure out a pattern of when it starts and when it doesn’t. All but once it failed to launch when Lightroom creates a new tif file and tries to launch studio, but even without closing down lightroom, I try to edit in Studio using the previously created tif file, I can sometimes get it to work if I am persistent and try two or three times more. Most of the time, if I shut down Lightroom and restart, I am able to edit the previously created lightroom tif file in Studio. Trying to edit additional times can be hit or miss. As I said, there is no pattern that I can detect as to when it will or will not launch.

Kathy, Repeat opening of Studio 1.5.3 from within PSP 2018 32 bit works fine for me. I just tested by opening 4 times in a row,…Patricia

1 Like

Thanks Patricia. Maybe there is something wonky with my installation of PSP2018. When I’m feeling ambitious and have enough time I’ll do a complete uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps.

Update: I’ve uninstalled PSP2018, ran the PSP2018 removal tool to get any leftovers and reinstalled PSP2018. All to no avail as I still cannot launch the TS plug-in from PSP more than once.

Bummer Kathy… was hoping you had this resolved…

1 Like

Benn using Topaz Studio for a week or so now. All appears well. No real big issues…

Topaz Studio has been performing perfectly now. No issues…

I’m getting really tied of this software, I love what it can do, but that’s only when it wants to open, I’ve been using it today with no trouble, and then just like that, it will no longer open, it just hangs indefinitely, close PS and LR, restart the computer, but still nothing, the icon comes up in the task bar, but that’s about it.

Yes. Very bad on performance. Starts off opening okay, but then has issues. My computer needs to close down. This performance happens with opening both within PS and Alone. Sometimes, I cannot close the computer down. I need to use Task Manager - Windows - to solve the Topaz “hang”.
Very slow performance.

Since commenting 2 days ago, I still can’t get it to open, the old topaz Labs plugins work fine, just not Studio, what absolute garbage.

I am also having issue with the time Studio takes to open from within PS CC and as Don have attaching my PC config. From within PS is is taking 65 secs and from within LR 20 secs (Studio version 1.5.3). I do not have a problem opening Topaz Studio multiple times, either as separate layers or as preferred within a smart object. Whilst writing - is there a way to change the order in which the 'workflow’s appear in the LH panel. I would like MY EFFECTS to appear at the top of the panel.DxDiag.txt (79.7 KB)

POS software still won’t open, every other plugin, even the old Topaz stuff, no problems at all, just this crap, I’m just glad this isn’t one of my favourites

Still having issues to date. Computer shuts down. All is up to date according to Topaz. Whilst performing tasks within Topaz Studio within Impression, it shuts down. Since I am not a Beta tester any more, I cannot work out why this is happening. I cannot figure it out. You have to, Topaz.

Just to clarify the steps in an an earlier solution

Create the duplicate layer (unlike background it is not locked)
For some reason Filter/ Studio will not open an unlocked file

So LOCK the duplicate layer first

then Filter/ Studio will work

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread–I’ve just started using Topaz and love the effects I can get from it, but the last update created the won’t-open-on-more-than-one-file-without-restarting-Photoshop error for me. (I am using Topaz Studio, which shows up correctly as a Photoshop filter for me.) I was puzzled at first as to exactly how to implement the transparency lock workaround, but I think I’ve got it working now and thought I’d add here the exact steps I’m taking.

When I have a layer in a Photoshop file on which I want to apply a Topaz effect, I first lock transparency in THAT layer, then duplicate it (the duplicate will also have transparency locked automatically), open Topaz Studio as a Photoshop filter, and apply the effect as needed. I save the layer back to Photoshop after adding each effect, and create a duplicate layer for the next new effect I want to add (every duplicate layer will automatically have transparency locked, of course). When I follow these steps, I can then use Topaz again in a different file (or as many times as I want in the first file) without having to restart Photoshop.

I do get this message every time I open Topaz on a “transparency locked” layer…

…but it hasn’t caused any problems so I elected not to see the message anymore.

1 Like

Sadly, Elle, Studio still has problems. After all this time. It opens up photos with softness about them. It is a known issue, I was told, but is still ongoing.

dnaknitter. If you are on a background layer when you launch Studio, it is a reminder to duplicate that layer before you begin. That is a good thing to be reminded of.

Are you sure you are on your duplicated layer at the time of launching Studio?

Yes, I am definitely on the duplicated layer when I launch Studio. The wording of the warning seems awkward and not quite clear, but if that’s what it means to be reminding me of, it makes no sense because at that point I have ALWAYS just duplicated the layer. By the time I’m applying Topaz filters my files will have a dozen to a hundred layers, so “background” seems like not a meaningful term anymore, though. :wink:

dnaknitter, apart from the spelling mistake of transparency - please take note, Topaz - I cannot understand why this would not work for you. Just to be sure, I tested it and all is good. One thought tho - have you positioned your mouse on the right layer? I know when I check things I move around the layers and perhaps you have accidently clicked on the background layer without realising…?

Seabreeze, you are misunderstanding me. The workaround DOES work for me. I just had to figure out exactly what the steps were to make it work.

Since my last post, I have heard back from Topaz about the support ticket I started, and they gave me the link to download the previous Studio version (not just the previous plugin versions, which I already had but chose not to use as I preferred some things about the Studio interface). I have not done that yet and may just hold it in reserve in case other problems come up.

1 Like

And I don’t want to be running Studio and having my original photo changed - softened. Loss of detail. This is a known issue that I was told about by a Topaz representative. When I complained to Topaz.

A known issue like this should take priority to be fixed over other development, Topaz. It is a simple fix the way I see it. Give us options. Do your fix or just don’t.

I want to bring my photo into Studio as it is. I don’t want any corrections. At the moment, it seems you are applying all the photo corrections and noise reduction.