"Try AI Clear pro version"

I purchased AI Clear for $59.99. I auusme that’s the “pro” version. I downloaded the latest Studio Pro. AI Clear shows as an adjustment. When I load it, there is one slider for opacity, – that’s it. Below it says click here to try pro version. I click it. Nothing happens…

Therefore, how do I get AI Clear Pro to show up in my adjustments?
Thanks
Jay

Same thing has happened to me. try customer support

This is the first adjustment I’ve had a problem getting after purchase. So I did a “Reset Local Database” which is the last item in the help menu. This fixed it for me. There is a help article on this. Hope this helps.

1 Like

That fixed it. However, so far I am underwhelmed. Denoise 6 seems to a better job. I will keep experimenting.
Thanks
Jay

2 Likes

I agree with Jay. I don’t see any effect from AI Clear. I just wasted my money. Denoise is my go to product.

2 Likes

I also agree that the new AI Clear does not do as good as job as Denoise 6. In addition, the detail panel in Lightroom also does a much better job

Wally

2 Likes

Oh my gosh. This is horrible. I don’t see a difference at all. I want my money back.

2 Likes

Here are 200% crops from a 16 MP file at ISO 12800.
Topaz DeNoise 6 tends to blur out the highlights and ignore the darks. I pushed the Highlights slider all the way to the left and the Shadows slider all the way to the right to correct this as much as I could, then adjusted the Overall to suit.

AI Clear reduces noise in random patches. Notice the commander’s abdomen and the area under the dying soldier. Neither plug-in does an outstanding job.

As jmlazgar says, I’m underwhelmed.

I’m not sure that either products were designed to correct perceived noise in a image of a painting at high ISO, as always you should shoot art at low ISO with good lighting and not apply any noise reduction to retain the texture of the original. As you can see from a 100% of the original you posted it is very difficult to see what you are trying to achieve as you are not just contending with High ISO noise …

1 Like

Hi Don,
As you might guess, the image is not a copy of a painting but merely the background of the most recent high-ISO image I shot. By using a really noisy image and getting in close to it, you can really see what the various products are doing. DeNoise seems to really concentrate on the highlights. In my recent experience (not just with this image) it’s hard to balance the strength of the effect from highlights to shadows. AI Clear is strangely patchy in its effect (though I only tried it on this image). I have 30 days to try it and perhaps my opinion will improve.
Tom

I think that the AI Clear notes from the website say it works best on a RAW file with no nose reduction applied.

You may want to try either a RAW opened directly in Studio or use a TIF output from another RAW converter with no noise reduction applied.

I have had good success with ISO12800 images from a Canon EOS M50, although not as good as DeNoise because of the manual adjustments available, but acceptable.

But high ISO images from a 1" sensor are even more difficult.

1 Like

I think it’s important to understand/discover what AI Clear does best - imo the website does a fairly good job of showing that - there are no super-noisy before images or such. And in my experience it does what is advertised - dealing with average noise, slight lack of focus, chromatic aberration - really well.

I have been testing it with 8 year old images from a DSLR to more recent ones from much higher resolution cameras, to phone photos and in general the ability to fix a whole bunch of issues with a click or two (basically picking medium or high model if low does not do the trick) is very impressive. And, in theory, if they keep on adding photos to the model and “teaching” the AI it could only improve.

Hopefully they keep on doing that - it would probably be easy to get users to submit pairs of images taken with high ISO and lots of noise and clean ones. I would gladly do that if there was a chance of better results.

1 Like

I owe an apology at least as far as DeNoise is concerned. Looking at the channels, the blue is completely black in the highlights, so the blurry-looking highlights are simply blocked up.

Here is a more scientific test of part of a Macbeth color chart. As you can see, even at ISO 25,600 DeNoise does an excellent job of reducing noise.

1 Like

The “noise” in the painting image is so course that it would be considered detail. There is no color noise so I wonder if this is even noise or some artifacts. I wouldn’t consider this a test of the capabilities of AI Clear since anyone using it would do so on 99% of the pictures that are reasonably exposed. For extreme cases, you either delete the picture (usually the best option) or try some extreme measures. AI Clear doesn’t seem to be good for that case.