Waterloo Bridge, London, Sunset, Claude Monet

Oh my, and what fun! So I recently learned that the National Gallery of Art provides for Open Access Policy for 51,000 works.

NGA states that “The Gallery’s open access policy is a natural extension of this mission, and in applying the policy in a global digital environment, the Gallery also expands and enhances its educational and scholarly outreach. The Gallery believes that increased access to high quality images of its works of art fuels knowledge, scholarship, and innovation, inspiring uses that continually transform the way we see and understand the world of art.”

With this in mind, I searched for Monet’s Waterloo Bridge, London, Sunset and was thrilled to find it. The original is just so flat that I’ve always wondered whether it’s faded or that was his original intent. I’m guessing it was his original intent in that some of his other works have this same sense of mystery - Morning Haze for example.

I’ve applied a bit of clarity to bring out the color to give depth to his brush strokes. It was a real treat, in essence, to bring out the color and brush strokes I’ve wondered about. So here it is with a touch of Topaz Clarity and Detail

Claude Monet (French, 1840 - 1926), Waterloo Bridge, London, at Sunset, 1904, oil on canvas, Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon 1983.1.28

9 Likes

If you want more realism you should not be going to the Impressionists, but looking more at the more modern Realist painters. The painting is deliberately soft and flat - (and blue) in order to give an ‘impression’ of Waterloo Bridge.